International students that are authorized to work in the United States and have a work visa that allows them to work in the USA for at least 2+ years post-graduation and meet all of the other requirements may apply for a CHLA Hospitality Foundation scholarship.

Yes, if you have been accepted at a 4-year university in California as a hospitality and tourism management major.

No. A student’s grade transcript downloaded from the school website is preferred.

No. Credits transferred will appear on the current transcript.

Yes, if the credits for the overseas study apply to and are accepted by your current university.

Yes, however, your interview may be conducted online using software like Skype.

Extremely important. Applicants are scored on the amount of hospitality industry work experience and the degree of responsibility. Limited industry work experience is scored lower.

Where required, extremely important. Activities may include on-campus, community, church and hospitality industry. Applicants who have taken on leadership responsibilities will be scored higher.

Cover letters are scored on the applicant’s ability to communicate an idea or thought. The assumption is that the student would not be studying culinary arts or hospitality and tourism management and contemplating a career therein if it had not been for a particular person, job or event that inspired them to do so. We want to hear about it and be able to ask questions about such in the interview.   

Interviewers are looking for the applicant’s degree of Enthusiasm, Passion for the Industry, Ambition, Maturity, Charisma, Team Orientation, Self-assurance, Energy and Self Leadership. Each has equal weight in the interview score.

No. You must be attending an accredited college or university in California to apply and receive a CHLA Hospitality Foundation scholarship.

Yes. However, the applicant must be pursuing a bachelor degree in hospitality and tourism management when applying.

IRC:  “A scholarship or fellowship grant is tax free (excludable from gross income) only if you are a candidate for a degree at an eligible educational institution”. IRS website