The Foundation endeavors to identify and reward the best and brightest of the hospitality and tourism industry’s next generation of leaders with a variety of scholarships in California. The Foundation asks students meeting certain basic requirements to complete and submit an application and other required information, write a cover letter, and, if selected, appear before an industry interview panel.
Scholarships are awarded through the California Hotel & Lodging Association Hospitality Foundation.
This year’s scholarship period is now closed. Please check back February 1, 2024, when the application opens again.
Basic Requirements to Apply for a Foundation Scholarship
- Students must be attending an accredited 2 or 4-year college or university in California and pursuing an associate or bachelor degree.
- Must have been a designated culinary arts or hospitality and tourism management major for at least one semester or quarter prior to applying for a scholarship.
- Enrolled in at least 12 units at the time application is made.
- Have earned a 2.75 overall GPA for all semesters or quarters completed and/or a 3.0 GPA for all completed culinary arts or hospitality and tourism management courses completed.
How to Apply for a Foundation Scholarship
The application form must be completed and submitted with the following attachments:
- A cover letter, including what inspired you to pursue a career in hospitality.
- A current resume of education, work experience, and other relevant information normally found on a resume used when applying for a job.
- A copy of the transcript of classes completed and grades at your current school and the classes currently being taken. The transcript may be downloaded from the school website.
- Digital photo/head shot in .jpeg or .png format for use in publicity, along with the photo release form.
The Scholarship Process
All communications between the Foundation and the student concerning the scholarship process will be via email.
Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and interviews will take place via Zoom.
Interviews will be conducted by a panel of two hospitality industry leaders. Applicants will be judged on leadership capabilities, industry experience, extra-curricular activities (4-year school students), clarity of personal and career goals, and both written and verbal communication skills.
Not all persons selected to be interviewed will receive a scholarship. Those that are awarded a scholarship will be notified via email. Scholarships are awarded on a semester or quarterly basis during the school year. Payments will be made when evidence of current registration in the applicable semester or quarter of at least 12 units has been received by the Foundation.
Scholarship recipients will be introduced to donors and the industry at an awards event to be held the Fall.
For more information please visit Scholarship’s FAQ section.
Our scholarship application cycle is currently closed. To stay informed about the next scholarship period, please provide us with your email address, and we’ll ensure you receive timely notifications.
Thank you so much for awarding me a scholarship for the 2022/2023 school year. I am very grateful and appreciative of your support as I continue to learn and grow in the hospitality industry. Thank you again for this wonderful opportunity!
Rani Hamamoto – California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
The Collins College of Hospitality Management, Hospitality Business Management, Graduating 2024